So, we have out copy of Linux Mint (17.2) installed and it all looks very pretty, but it still isn’t talking to the other computer (Windows or Linux) on the LAN. Let’s try following the tutorial on the Mint site here.
- An updated fresh Mint installed
- Grabbed a copy of WINE for future Adobe Flash DRM video viewing with:
apt install wine --install-recommends
The tutorial then gives the following two commands, but I thought I’d check the Webmin site to see if there had been a webmin update (there had) and so changed the version number as seen below.
cd ~/Downloads wget http://iweb.dl.sourceforge.net/project/webadmin/webmin/1.610/webmin_1.610_all.deb
So the source I changed to
right, that’s downloaded the package. Now to get the rest of the supporting libraries:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install libnet-ssleay-perl libauthen-pam-perl libio-pty-perl apt-show-versions libapt-pkg-perl -y
Both updates went through without a hitch. Now, I can go ahead and actually install Webmin:
sudo dpkg -i ~/Downloads/webmin_1.760_all.deb
Woohoo! Looks good, and the installation process also told me that I could login to webmin at https://dibbler:10000/ as root with my root password – ‘dibbler’ is the hostname of my machine. Alternatively, a more generic login would be:
Old Dibbler gets the panics!
A moment’s panic!! Firefox tells me that old ‘dibbler’ has seen an untrusted connection at this address! What do I do? Well, I’m fairly sure that this is just webmin as directed, so I click ‘I understand the risks’ and it wants me to add an exception to Firefox’s blocking rules. Wavering slightly, I do so and a pop-up does just that!
I chose ‘Get certificate’ and ‘confirm security exception’ – let’s hope those were the right choices!
Well, it all looks good – a login to webmin screen has appeared in my browser. I login as ‘root’ with my root password and go straight into the webmin options. Good grief! Where to start?
The first thing I notice on the home screen is that 13 package updates are available, so I click on the link to see if it will update them. Hmmm…. lots of GRUB stuff and some important kernel updates! Seems to be doing them ok… Yay! All good. Return to package list.
Using the Menu I went to Servers>Samba Windows File Sharing. There’s an awful lot of information here that I don’t understand, so I’m going to follow the tutorial steps pretty closely. I looked for ‘Add Samba User by converting a system user’…. In the second block of icons down, called ‘Samba Users’ there was an icon for Convert Users – perhaps this is what I need? I click on it. I checked the radio button for Only listed users or UID ranges, and then Use this password for newly created users.
Looking for the Verify option mentioned int he tutorial, I found the User Synchronisation section and checked the radio boxes for Add a Samba user when a Unix user is added, Change the Samba user when a Unix user is changed and delete the Samba user when a Unix user is deleted. It seemed to make sense that the users were synchronised. So, back to the main sharing menu. As the tutorial says, clicking on Samba Users does indeed show ‘nobody’ and my username.
I then chose to Restart the Samba Servers using the button at the bottom, and it failed! Damn! What now? Back to the tutorial… no help 😦
I restarted the Winbind server with no problem. Perhaps I can restart samba from the command line?
sudo restart smbd sudo restart nmdb
Which all seems to go ok… but no luck!
Making file shares
Maybe I don’t have anything to share on the network? So, I went to the Create a new share option and selected my Downloads directory as a test but to no avail.
Not giving up yet, I went to the Windows Networking Options section from the main screen, put in my machine’s name as the server name and alias, changed the default service to ‘global’ (in the hope of catching any traffic!) and clicked Save. I used the above two commands to start & stop the service…. still no joy.
I then went to Security And Access Control under File Share Defaults. I changed the share to writeable as I wanted to receive files from other machines, made it accessible to Guests (user: nobody)and clicked save.
Sadly, still can’t get any networking working with either linux or Windows machines…