Once more unto the breach, dear friends….

Ubuntu-Studio 15.04

It is time to have yet another go at getting the whole workhorse machine up and running with a nice, clean and – hopefully – stable Linux machine using the variant of Ubuntu designed to handle audio (and other media) known as Ubuntu Studio.

The main reason I use Windows rather than Linux is for the power of Windows editing apps and, to be honest, the games I occasionally play in the evenings. Having said this, if I can get all the work I need to do done in a Linux environment, a dual-boot machine might be the answer! At the moment, my main boot hard drive has gone down but it has allowed me to install Studio 15.04 from a flash drive  – woohoo!

Ubuntu Studio uses a Desktop based on the XFCE Windows Manager (which you can also see in Xubuntu) and so it is very clean and clear, albeit it somewhat cut-down and short of all the bells and whistles that mark the Gnome and KDE versions of Ubuntu. So, where to begin? Most of my data exists on external hard drives and additional hard drives in my main PC, so these need to be accessible to my (linux) machine and the other machines on my LAN (all Windows). To save you reading any further (other than for academic interest) – these steps failed!

Samba! Cha-cha-cha! Networking with Windows

Following the advice on the Ubuntu Help site, I shall try and set up the Windows networking in Linux using the command-line. I will just show you the commands I used here and my comments for brevity. for explanations, follow the link and read the chat 😉

To start, I shall try to switch to Superuser mode as I am going to be doing a lot of Root work. So:-

sudo su
<enter password when requested>

This logs me in as root! Yay! Then:

apt-get -y install samba

to install the ‘samba’ sharing software…

smbpasswd -a <user>

to create a Samba user. You’ll be asked for a new password for the Samba user (I used the same username as my normal one), and then to confirm it. The next instruction is to create a Directory (folder) to be shared. I assume all of my external HDDs can be linked to in this directory.

mkdir /home/<user name>/<folder name>

so as my everyday username is ‘gary’, I chose the following:

mkdir /home/gary/shares

Updating Configurations

Now we can go about setting up the samba configurations… First to make a copy of the samba configurations file (samba.conf) to our home folder.

cp /etc/samba/smb.conf ~

Open the configurations file and then

gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf

Now to add the Words of Power to the end of the conf file!

[<folder name>]
 path = /home/<user name>/<folder name>
 available = yes
 valid users = <user name>
 read only = no
 browseable = yes
 public = yes
 writable = yes

where user name and folder name are those we decided on earlier. Remember linefeeds and spaces are all important here. Now save and exit.

Ooh! Exciting times! Time to restart and test

Type the following to restart the samba system:

service smbd restart

Oh, that seemed to go well. We can test it with:

testparm

Lots of information, but I noticed “loaded services file OK” and my additions have been listed at the end of the dump. Woohoo!

Now for the Client

That’s the server installed, and it’s now time to install the Client.

apt-get install smbclient

Seemed to go OK. Hmm.. how to proceed from here though? It’s a little unclear. I did figure out that the Domain name of the samba share is ‘WORKGROUP’, so that’s pretty handy. Using:

smbclient -L //<my @pc name>/<folder name> -U <user name>

shows me a list of shares that my samba user has available to use and from that I can see the other machines on my network and the printer. I’m not sure why my Linux machine does not have a name though…

Is this your vehicle then, sir?

I’ve just spotted that the ‘shares’ folder I set up has the owner ‘root’ (because I was typing everything as a Superuser) so I may need to change the ownership back to my samba user, ‘gary’, before it will work. So, to do this I typed:

chown gary /home/gary/shares

which did the job. ‘gary’ is my local username, and ‘shares’ is the <folder name> we have been using so far. Using the File Explorer (Thunar in my case), I could right click on the folder icon and see that owner was now me (‘gary’) but the group owner was still ‘root’. so using the drop down I could change the owner to ‘sambashare’ (that seemed like it might be the right thing to do) with Read/Write permissions. I allowed it to apply the permissions recursively as well.

Exploring the Network

By clicking on ‘Browse Network’, I was shown a ‘Windows Network’. Clicking on this, showed me a ‘WORKGROUP’ folder. Opening this, brought up a password dialog. So I entered <username>, Domain was already ‘WORKGROUP’, and my samba password. Rats!!!! Failure. It did not open the workgroup for browsing.

 

Hmmm…..   back to the drawing board 😦

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s