This is based on a tutorial found on the Ubuntu forums here and is a summary of the steps needed. For more explanation see the origina; 🙂
1. Go to System>Administation>Synaptic Package Manager
2. Click the Status button (bottom left) then click Residual config.
3. If anything comes up in the right hand window, select it and Mark for Complete Removal, then click Apply.
4. Click on All, then on any name on the right hand side. Type localepurge and check whether it is installed or not. If not, install it. When it install it asks you for your locale. I selected en-uk – this is the locale that it will leave on my system, getting rid of anything else.
5. Do the same for the deborphan package.
6. Open a Terminal and type: sudo apt-get autoclean
7. Type: sudo deborphan | xargs sudo apt-get -y remove –purge