Download the Driver
After googling, I found a driver here that’s supposed to work. I downloaded the package but noticed that it is an RPM and not a DEB. So I’m going to have to learn how to convert it.
Converting the RPM
1. Open a Terminal and type: sudo apt-get install alien
2. Convert with: sudo alien –scripts gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.i486.rpm
3. This leaves the following file: gutenprint_5.0.1-2_i386.deb
Install the Driver
1. dpkg -i gutenprint_5.0.1-2_i386.deb. This tells me that it installs well and has restarted cups.
1. Go to System>Administration>printing.
2. Click on New Printer
3. Click on Windows Printer via Samba (my printer is connected to a Windows box).
4. Then I click the Browse button to hunt for the printer. Once I have navigated to the printer and clicked OK, then I click on Forward.
5. Mmm – I can’t find gutenprint, wonder where it’s gone to?
6. OK, so I went to the normal list of printers under Select Printer from Database I choose the Epson D68 (being the model under mine, I assume) and when I go forward … there is Gutenprint. Choose a driver and print a test page – piece of cake.
Powered by ScribeFire.